- $ 375.00
WorkSafe Licence Fee
- $ 39.00 if you hold a current WA High Risk licence
- $ 117.00 if you hold a current interstate high risk licence
- $ 78.00 if you do not hold a current WA High Risk licence
About the Course:
Mandatory pre-study followed by a full day attendance:
Our 1 DAY with Pre-study Elevated Work Platform (EWP) course is for those who require a High Risk Work Licence to operate an elevated work platform (WP class) issued from WorkSafe WA. The 1 DAY course includes mandatory pre-study that must be completed before you attend your course date. When you attend our venue in Rockingham, you will complete additional training before being assessed. Assessment includes written theory and calculations assessment and finally a practical assessment.
Once a booking has been made you will receive a Booking Confirmation with a link to access the pre-study – a document with Pre-Study Questions to prepare you for the knowledge and calculations assessments, followed by the Learner Guide. To complete the pre-study, read through the learner guide and complete the pre-study questions and practice calculations (calculators may be used), then go back and study the completed example questions several times until you feel confident that you know the information. Please be aware that the knowledge and calculations assessments are closed book (that is, you cannot look at any reference material or notes during the assessment), so it is vital you spend adequate time to learn the information.
Completing the pre-study is mandatory, however we do not require you to print the Learner Guide, if it can be accessed on a device. If you are not able to print the example questions, you should complete them on note paper to study. All students MUST bring the completed example questions with them when they attend the course. Students who do not bring the completed pre-study questions, WILL NOT commence training and another course date will need to be booked and paid for again.
You will receive a copy of the Learner Guide when you attend, however you are welcome to collect a copy of the Learner Guide and pre-study questions prior to attending your course date.
If you have experience in EWP operations, you may find the information is familiar and be able to complete the study in less time to feel confident in your knowledge. However, please be aware that the assessment is closed book (that is, you cannot look at any reference material or notes during the assessment), so it is vital you spend adequate time to learn the content of the Pre-study Questions.
If you have language or learning difficulties you may choose to ask a family member or friend to be a ‘study buddy’, and help you complete the online study and learn the information. However, please note that there is a level of reading, writing and numeracy required to complete this course with us, please see the LLN information below for what this means.
- Duration – One day. Face to face training and assessment runs from 7:30am – 5:00pm, and allow 2.5 hours for pre-study before you attend (all up approx 12 hours). Registration is at 7:20am
- Method – Self-paced study before you attend, then face-to-face training and assessment when you are here. You will complete a written theory and calculations assessment and practical assessment.
- This unit of competency is nationally recognised, those who complete this course successfully will be issued with a Statement of Attainment for TLILIC0005 – Licence to operate a boom-type elevating work platform (boom length 11 metres or more).
- Successful completion will allow you to apply for an EWP (WP class) High Risk Work Licence with WorkSafe WA – we lodge the application for you.
What the course covers:
- How to plan EWP work and identify and manage hazards
- How to conduct routine checks
- How to set up and operate an EWP
- How to shut down, conduct post-operations checks and secure an EWP
There is no formal pre-requisite unit of competency required, however candidates MUST;
- Be able to understand, read and write English, have an understanding of numerical values and be able to do basic calculations (for further information on the level ability required, see ‘LLN’ below)
- Be at least 18 years of age or over
- Complete the mandatory pre-study and bring the COMPLETED pre-study questions
- Bring either one form of primary ID OR three forms of secondary ID. One form of ID MUST show your name and date of birth
- Primary ID includes;
- Australian passport – Current or expired within the last two years, but not cancelled
- A current drivers licence or learners permit
- A current high risk licence
- A current international passport
- A Western Australian Photo Card (formerly Proof of Age card)
- Click here for a full list of primary and secondary ID
- If you hold a valid high risk licence issued in a state other than WA you must bring it with you on the day of the course
- You MUST bring one passport photo (even if you hold a current WA issued High Risk Work Licence – this is a new requirement from WorkSafe, a passport photo is now required for each application to WorkSafe). Regular photos or a photocopy of a passport will not be accepted by WorkSafe
- Wear safety boots
LLN – Language, Literacy and Numeracy Requirements:
To satisfactorily complete this training with us, learners need to be able to understand, read and write basic English and be able to complete basic maths. Calculators are supplied and used during training and assessment.
For example, at the very least, the learner would need to be able to (without assistance) READ and WRITE by following simple instructions like;
Look at the Risk Assessment
Find ‘Fitting Fall Arrest (PPE) Equipment’
Write down what the ‘Potential Hazards’ are.
As an example of the basic maths a learner would need to be able to do to satisfactorily complete this course with us, see the problem below;
You are going to use an EWP to do repair work. The EWP is rated at 250kg. You weight 85kg and your coworker weighs 97kg.
What weight in tools can you have with you to do the work?
Answer = No more than 68kg (250 – 85 – 97 = 68)
While understanding numerical values, reading and writing basic English is required, there are some adjustments that can be made if required.
For example, we can offer:
- Training material and assessments in larger print or on coloured paper (learners need to advise preferred colour prior to attending).
- Additional theory and/or practical training.
- Re-assessment opportunities following further training.
- Oral assessment
- Oral assessment may be offered only after a candidate has attempted the written assessment.
- All candidates who complete the theory assessment orally, are required to complete a supplementary assessment to demonstrate they are able to read, understand and write basic English. The supplementary assessment is similar to the examples given in LLN above and must be successfully completed by the candidate (on their own).
- It is unlikely that an oral assessment would be conducted on the same day the written assessment is attempted, as it requires a trainer to conduct it one on one with the candidate.
- When a candidate has successfully completed the calculations assessment and the oral assessment, they will then be required to successfully complete the practical assessment to be judged as competent
The course is conducted at our training venue in Rockingham – Unit 1, 8 Day Road, East Rockingham, Western Australia.
All this talk is great, but what does the training centre look like? Here are a couple of images to give you an idea of the environment you will be doing your training in.
The machine for training
Inside a classroom
About KG Training
KG Training is a Registered Training Organisation (RTO) - Provider Number 52112. This means we are registered with the Training Accreditation Council so you can be sure we are legitimate.
Our trainers literally have decades of experience in industry, which means they know what it is like to be in your shoes. They are all down to earth people who enjoy a laugh and a joke whilst providing a professional service to you. I mean, all work and no play isn't very exciting!